Mark Minasi's Tech Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
msandlie

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #1 
We are introducing dell tablets with windows 10 pro installed and are wanting to use them to pull up a pdf and use a stylus to circle things, write down numbers and so on.

Using Foxit pdf viewer has a much better and easy to use layout, comment is easy to find and select but it's laggy as it doesn't start writing using the comment tool until you have moved the stylus a bit first. And you can't change it's defaults, the thickness of the mark is too thick and they expect you to go back, select your markings and then change them after the fact.

Adobe reader responds much better, it's mark is thinner by default, and it has settings you can adjust, but..  to go up to tools, select the big comment icon to have it add this huge tool addon at the top so that you can just to a small scribble or whatever is ridiculous.  I would have been super happy if it was an option you could simply turn on and have as part of your main menu at the top where you click on it as needed.

Can anyone make any recommendations on what would work? 

0
spam spam bacon spam

Avatar / Picture

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #2 
I "live" in PDF documents.  I am also creative and curious.  Those traits mean I don't just "read" PDFs, I re-work/modify them to achieve all sorts of goals.

One app I stumbled across may be an option for you.

It's called Xodo.
https://www.xodo.com/

It's specialized for tablets/phones and it was built for annotating PDFs.

I use it on my Androids, but I would think the software is the functionally the same for Windows tablets/phones.

It's also free.  I don't see any indication that Xodo that requires payment, so perhaps commercial use is also free.

HTH,

~spammy


__________________
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

0
msandlie

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you very much for the reply.  I'm starting up the tablet now, i'll give it a try 😉

0
msandlie

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #4 
Wow Xodo is a great recommendation!!  absolutely 0 stylus to screen lag, it ignores my hand as i'm writing, easy layout and super icing on the cake, it allows you to easily save a flattened or reduced size of the document.  Out of the 3 options i have now this is diffinately my first option.

What i'm trying to figure out now is

Is there's a way to alter the menu so it shows just one editing tool as an option. 

Is there a way to save settings for save options so it saves a certain way every time using the flatten/reduced save option

And just messing around with this i was wondering if there was a way to reduce file size even more than the small setting in the reduced save option.  i was messing around with the image downsampling but it doesn't seem to do anything to the file save when going down to

Here are the sizes I got with testing

Original file size = 6k

after editing and doing a standard save as, 46k
saving flattened = 15k
saving flattened and reduced using standard reduced setting = 15k
saving flattened and reduced using small file size setting = 15k
saving flattened and reduced using advanced settings knocking dpi down to 50 = 15k





Quote:
Originally Posted by spam spam bacon spam
I "live" in PDF documents.  I am also creative and curious.  Those traits mean I don't just "read" PDFs, I re-work/modify them to achieve all sorts of goals.

One app I stumbled across may be an option for you.

It's called Xodo.
https://www.xodo.com/

It's specialized for tablets/phones and it was built for annotating PDFs.

I use it on my Androids, but I would think the software is the functionally the same for Windows tablets/phones.

It's also free.  I don't see any indication that Xodo that requires payment, so perhaps commercial use is also free.

HTH,

~spammy

0
DennisMCSE

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 166
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spam spam bacon spam
I "live" in PDF documents.  I am also creative and curious.  Those traits mean I don't just "read" PDFs, I re-work/modify them to achieve all sorts of goals.

One app I stumbled across may be an option for you.

It's called Xodo.
https://www.xodo.com/

It's specialized for tablets/phones and it was built for annotating PDFs.

I use it on my Androids, but I would think the software is the functionally the same for Windows tablets/phones.

It's also free.  I don't see any indication that Xodo that requires payment, so perhaps commercial use is also free.

HTH,

~spammy



Just started playing around with this. Looks awesome. But I looked at the EULA and it only mentions Personal and Non-commercial purposes. But I don't see any cost anywhere for commercial use. Thanks for the tip on using this.

"2. Grant of License. Subject to your continued compliance with these Terms, Xodo hereby grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license for personal, non-commercial purposes (the License”). Upon the expiration or other termination of this Agreement, the License will immediately and automatically cease."

0
spam spam bacon spam

Avatar / Picture

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by msandlie
Wow Xodo is a great recommendation!!  absolutely 0 stylus to screen lag, it ignores my hand as i'm writing, easy layout and super icing on the cake, it allows you to easily save a flattened or reduced size of the document.  Out of the 3 options i have now this is diffinately my first option.


Cool!


Quote:
Originally Posted by msandlie

What i'm trying to figure out now is

Is there's a way to alter the menu so it shows just one editing tool as an option. 

Is there a way to save settings for save options so it saves a certain way every time using the flatten/reduced save option

And just messing around with this i was wondering if there was a way to reduce file size even more than the small setting in the reduced save option.  i was messing around with the image downsampling but it doesn't seem to do anything to the file save when going down to

Here are the sizes I got with testing

Original file size = 6k

after editing and doing a standard save as, 46k
saving flattened = 15k
saving flattened and reduced using standard reduced setting = 15k
saving flattened and reduced using small file size setting = 15k
saving flattened and reduced using advanced settings knocking dpi down to 50 = 15k


You probably figured out already that the tool bar cannot be modified, and the custom save settings cannot be saved as the default save method, as well.  For some life-wasting reason, I went to their website and dug thru the "User Voice" section, as that seems to be where the developers are chatting with users...  

As far as your 15k file size floor, I'm wondering if 15k isn't some sort of "minimum possible size" because of "overhead."  I'm not sure how to say it in "file-format terms", but in networking, "overhead"* refers to the "control info" that gets added to each "chunk" of user data to handle addressing; the control info is stripped off at the destination, hence the term "overhead."

So maybe like file header info?


* This is a VERY rough, loose, "kinda-sorta" description - don't mistake it for a technically accurate description.
It's not.   😉~


Cheers!

~spammy


__________________
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

0
spam spam bacon spam

Avatar / Picture

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 24
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMCSE


Just started playing around with this. Looks awesome. But I looked at the EULA and it only mentions Personal and Non-commercial purposes. But I don't see any cost anywhere for commercial use. Thanks for the tip on using this.

"2. Grant of License. Subject to your continued compliance with these Terms, Xodo hereby grants you a personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license for personal, non-commercial purposes (the License”). Upon the expiration or other termination of this Agreement, the License will immediately and automatically cease."



Hey!

Long time, no sumthin' or other!

I had an extra 10 minutes of life that I wasn't sure what to do with, so I cruised thru their FAQs and found this, from "Why is it free?"

It suggests that there is some sort of cost for enterprise use, but this is the only time the word "enterprise" is used on their entire, 6 page site [wink]~

So, as I always say... "the lack of a 'no you can't' is an implied 'yes you can'." (hahaha)


Quote:
Xodo app development is supported through enterprise licensing, custom engineering, and by licensing underlying technology (distributed by PDFTron Systems Inc). The app is also supported though a vibrant user community (e.g. all translations are user contributed; Xodo development roadmap is user driven, etc).

[...]

The Xodo app is free for personal use and it will stay so. Currently there are also no limitations in terms of features, data use, etc. In the event we find violations to our basic terms of use (which was not a problem so far), we may restrict data use or some other aspect of the online service. We may charge for additional cloud services (e.g. extra online storage and options); but all current local features (annotation, editing, optimization, etc) of the app will stay free forever.


cheerios!

~spamms

__________________
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

0
msandlie

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #8 
I would be happy to purchase this software but that being said, once a paying customer I would hope to see some of these things that are being requested get implemented into their product.  It's an awesome product already but I would personally like to see more customization possibilities.  I do like it's simple interface, it's great for tablets but there's still too much in the tool bar that i would love to have the option to remove.  Either way were moving forward using this product on our tablets in the shop.  i'm currently looking for a bulk pdf scanner/flattening tool i can do as an admin against a share on the file server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spam spam bacon spam


Hey!

Long time, no sumthin' or other!

I had an extra 10 minutes of life that I wasn't sure what to do with, so I cruised thru their FAQs and found this, from "Why is it free?"

It suggests that there is some sort of cost for enterprise use, but this is the only time the word "enterprise" is used on their entire, 6 page site [wink]~

So, as I always say... "the lack of a 'no you can't' is an implied 'yes you can'." (hahaha)




cheerios!

~spamms
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.