Mark Minasi's Tech Forum
Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
straffin

Still Checking the Forum Out
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #1 
Subject kinda says it all ... is Steadier State something that will continue to be supported and developed, particularly for Windows 10?

- John
0
Mark

Hacked Mark's Facebook Account
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #2 
Eventually. I want to do it in Powershell but first I've got to sell some classes. So stay tuned!
__________________
May I ask that everyone please populate the first name and last name in your user account profile.  Thanks!
0
ldigioia

Avatar / Picture

Still Checking the Forum Out
Registered:
Posts: 8
Reply with quote  #3 
For me, it has been replaced by two concepts - one is that "Windows Family Safety" works really well, (I have upwards of 80 children at the moment) - and also oddly enough, the idea that someone would want to abuse a desktop computer for accessing nasty stuff is fading fast. They usually have a device in their pocket that does a much better job.
__________________

-- "The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."                                              William James
0
Mark Minasi

Avatar / Picture

Humble Proprietor
Registered:
Posts: 167
Reply with quote  #4 
It isn't so much that people go to public libraries to use the computer and INTEND to screw it up.  It's just that they click where they shouldn't or just leave crap behind.  SS is just a quicker way to clean up.
0
Michael Pietrzak

New Friend (or an Old Friend who Built a New Account)
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #5 
Our campus purchased a site license for Deep Freeze. Works well from what I've heard from other admins.

I need to put in a "check in" kiosk in a few months and will get more first hand experience with it.
0
Mark Minasi

Avatar / Picture

Humble Proprietor
Registered:
Posts: 167
Reply with quote  #6 
Never said it was original or the best, Michael... just wanted to offer a free fill-in for those who missed Steady State. [smile]
0
rickels

Still Checking the Forum Out
Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #7 
In addition to my "regular" job, I am the volunteer IT staff for our tiny local library.  They purchased Deep Freeze for Windows 7 and don't want to spend the money for the upgrade, but they have purchased one Windows 10 PC.

I would like to see Steadier State for Windows 10 as it would meet our needs for features and price.  Deep Freeze is overkill for us.  Mark, I appreciate you considering taking on this task.
0
Mark

Hacked Mark's Facebook Account
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #8 
OTOH, it is clearly an open (cough, cough) source project.  I bear no ill will against anyone attempting to polish my little turd into an opal. [smile]


__________________
May I ask that everyone please populate the first name and last name in your user account profile.  Thanks!
0
Wes

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 189
Reply with quote  #9 
We deployed SS a while back for a win7 lab and it worked great.

Obviously important to bear in mind it requires Enterprise or Ultimate licensing.

The vhdboot method has pros and cons - really depends on what your goals and deployment methods are.

We recently had to do a very small win10 lab so we went with Reboot Restore RX which seems to be working fine.
0
Mark

Hacked Mark's Facebook Account
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #10 
Wes, if I recall right (and I may not) I thought Win 10 really loosened that up.  I thought that non-Enterprise SKUs supported it but I can't find the danged thing on the web.  Anyone know?
__________________
May I ask that everyone please populate the first name and last name in your user account profile.  Thanks!
0
Wes

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 189
Reply with quote  #11 
I think you're right that Pro can do it... no idea about home...
0
7heMC

Still Checking the Forum Out
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #12 
First off, I just want to thank Mark for his work putting all of this together.
I was inspired to modify the cmd files to work with Windows 10. The documentation has not yet been updated, but it is fairly straight forward if you are familiar with how Steadier State works. I did tweak it for my specific needs, specifically automatically rolling back at every reboot for public walk-up computers.

I have not yet tested backward compatibility with Windows 7 or 8, but I think it should work. I can confirm that it is definitely working with Windows 10. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

https://github.com/7heMC/SteadierState
0
nandovr4

Still Checking the Forum Out
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
Eventually. I want to do it in Powershell but first I've got to sell some classes. So stay tuned!

Powershell would be awesome!  I have created some additional scripts and edited the rollback and merge scripts to automate rollback and merge.  The PC's will rollback or merge automatically and then boot into Windows.  I can run these scripts with our Altiris desktop management software remotely.  We are currently using SS on our training PCs and will be using it on our loaner laptops.  SS is a great piece of work.  Thank you Mark.
0
Mark

Hacked Mark's Facebook Account
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heMC
First off, I just want to thank Mark for his work putting all of this together.
I was inspired to modify the cmd files to work with Windows 10. The documentation has not yet been updated, but it is fairly straight forward if you are familiar with how Steadier State works. I did tweak it for my specific needs, specifically automatically rolling back at every reboot for public walk-up computers.

I have not yet tested backward compatibility with Windows 7 or 8, but I think it should work. I can confirm that it is definitely working with Windows 10. Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

https://github.com/7heMC/SteadierState




Thank you!  Steadier State was never meant to be proprietary... I just realized that Win 7 Ultimate offered us a set of tools that, if glued together, could yield something like Steady State.  I just wrote some workable glue.  I'm honored and flattered that many folks are changing it to make it their own. 

__________________
May I ask that everyone please populate the first name and last name in your user account profile.  Thanks!
0
Mark

Hacked Mark's Facebook Account
Registered:
Posts: 261
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandovr4

Powershell would be awesome!  I have created some additional scripts and edited the rollback and merge scripts to automate rollback and merge.  The PC's will rollback or merge automatically and then boot into Windows.  I can run these scripts with our Altiris desktop management software remotely.  We are currently using SS on our training PCs and will be using it on our loaner laptops.  SS is a great piece of work.  Thank you Mark.


That sounds great.  I'd love to see anything that you're doing.  Thanks for the kind thoughts.

__________________
May I ask that everyone please populate the first name and last name in your user account profile.  Thanks!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: